Here’s what you need to know and do, if your marriage ends:

Medical/Dental/Vision – If your spouse was covered under the Fund’s plan, you must remove your spouse from Coverage within 30 days of your Divorce.

Your spouse would then be eligible to continue participating in the Fund’s plan under COBRA at his or her expense. If applicable, this information would be sent directly to your spouse. You may enroll yourself and/or your eligible dependents, if you/they had coverage under your spouse’s plan.

Death/Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) Coverage – You may change your beneficiary for your life and AD&D insurance.

Disability Insurance – No effect on this benefit.

Pension Plans – As of the effective date of your divorce, your former spouse is no longer eligible for a spousal death benefit. However, this may be affected by a Qualified Domestic Relations Order (“QDRO”). A QDRO is a legal judgment, decree or court order which recognizes the rights of an alternate payee with respect to support of a child or other dependent, alimony, or marital property rights. The Plan may be obligated to pay part of your benefit to someone else to comply with such an order. For example, if you become legally separated or divorced, a portion of your benefits may be assigned to a spouse, former spouse, child, or other dependent.

The court order must meet specific requirements to be recognized as a QDRO by the Plan Administrator and must describe specific procedures regarding the amount and timing of payments. If you are affected by such an order, you will be notified by the Plan Administrator. Contact the Fund office if you have specific questions regarding a QDRO.

Address/Personal Information – Be sure to update your address and personal information, including beneficiary designation, to reflect any changes.

How To Make Changes

Contact the Benefit Fund office if you get divorced. You will be advised of any steps you need to take to change your benefits. To change your benefit elections, you must return your forms to the Fund office within 30 days of your divorce.

Other Things To Consider

Contact your local post office for name/address change forms, if applicable.

Update your beneficiary designation and your Last Will and Testament.

Contact the Social Security Administration if your name changes.

Download Benefits Guide